Why would this election even be close? let’s take a look at what transpired over the last 3 + years.
1. Ordered all federal agencies to undertake a study and make recommendations for ways to cut spending
2. Ordered a review of all federal operations to identify and cut wasteful spending and practices
3. Instituted enforcement for equal pay for women
4. Beginning the withdrawal of US troops from Iraq
5. Families of fallen soldiers have expenses covered to be on hand when the body arrives at Dover AFB
6 Ended media blackout on war casualties; reporting full information
7. Ended media blackout on covering the return of fallen soldiers to Dover AFB; the media is now permitted to do so pending adherence to respectful rules and approval of fallen soldier’s family
8. The White House and federal government are respecting the Freedom of Information Act
9. Instructed all federal agencies to promote openness and transparency as much as possible
10. Limits on lobbyist’s access to the White House
11. Limits on White House aides working for lobbyists after their tenure in the administration
12. Ended the previous stop-loss policy that kept soldiers in Iraq/Afghanistan longer than their enlistment date
13. Phasing out the expensive F-22 war plane and other outdated weapons systems, which weren’t even used or needed in Iraq/Afghanistan
14. Removed restrictions on embryonic stem-cell research
15. Federal support for stem-cell and new biomedical research
16. New federal funding for science and research labs
17. States are permitted to enact federal fuel efficiency standards above federal standards
18. Increased infrastructure spending (roads, bridges, power plants) after years of neglect
19. Funds for high-speed, broadband Internet access to K-12 schools
20. New funds for school construction
21 The prison at Guantanamo Bay is being phased out
22. US Auto industry rescue plan
23. Housing rescue plan
24. $789 billion economic stimulus plan
25. The public can meet with federal housing insurers to refinance (the new plan can be completed in one day) a mortgage if they are having trouble paying
26. US financial and banking rescue plan
27. The secret detention facilities in Eastern Europe and elsewhere are being closed
28. Ended the previous policy; the US now has a no torture policy and is in compliance with theGeneva Convention standards
29. Better body armor is now being provided to our troops
30. The missile defense program is being cut by $1.4 billion in 2010
31. Restarted the nuclear nonproliferation talks and building back up the nuclear inspection infrastructure/protocols
32. Reengaged in the treaties/agreements to protect the Antarctic
33. Reengaged in the agreements/talks on global warming and greenhouse gas emissions
34. Visited more countries and met with more world leaders than any president in his first six months in office
35. Successful release of US captain held bySomali pirates; authorized the SEALS to do their job
36. US Navy increasing patrols off Somali coast
37. Attractive tax write-offs for those who buy hybrid automobiles
38. Cash for clunkers program offers vouchers to trade in fuel inefficient, polluting old cars for new cars; stimulated auto sales
39. Announced plans to purchase fuel efficient American-made fleet for the federal government
40. Expanded the SCHIP program to cover health care for 4 million more children
41. Signed national service legislation; expandednational youth service program
42. Instituted a new policy on Cuba, allowing Cuban families to return home to visit loved ones
43. Ended the previous policy of not regulating and labeling carbon dioxide emissions
44. Expanding vaccination programs
45. Immediate and efficient response to the floods in North Dakota and other natural disasters
46. Closed offshore tax safe havens
47. Negotiated deal with Swiss banks to permit US government to gain access to records of tax evaders and criminals
48. Ended the previous policy of offering tax benefits to corporations who outsource American jobs; the new policy is to promote in-sourcing to bring jobs back
49.. Ended the previous practice of protecting credit card companies; in place of it are new consumer protections from credit card industry’s predatory practices
50. Energy producing plants must begin preparing to produce 15% of their energy from renewable sources
51. Lower drug costs for seniors
52. Ended the previous practice of forbidding Medicare from negotiating with drug manufacturers for cheaper drugs; the federal government is now realizing hundreds of millions in savings
53. Increasing pay and benefits for military personnel
54. Improved housing for military personnel
55. Initiating a new policy to promote federal hiring of military spouses
56. Improved conditions at Walter Reed Military Hospital and other military hospitals
57 Increasing student loans
58. Increasing opportunities in AmeriCorps program
59. Sent envoys to Middle East and other parts of the world that had been neglected for years; reengaging in multilateral and bilateral talks and diplomacy
60. Established a new cyber security office
61. Beginning the process of reforming and restructuring the military 20 years after the Cold War to a more modern fighting force; this includes new procurement policies, increasing size of military, new technology and cyber units and operations, etc.
62. Ended previous policy of awarding no-bid defense contracts
63. Ordered a review of hurricane and natural disaster preparedness
64. Established a National Performance Officer charged with saving the federal government money and making federal operations more efficient
65. Students struggling to make college loan payments can have their loans refinanced
66. Improving benefits for veterans
67. Many more press conferences and town halls and much more media access than previous administration
68. Instituted a new focus on mortgage fraud
69. The FDA is now regulating tobacco
70. Ended previous policy of cutting the FDA and circumventing FDA rules
71. Ended previous practice of having White House aides rewrite scientific and environmental rules, regulations, and reports
72. Authorized discussions with North Korea and private mission by Pres. Bill Clinton to secure the release of two Americans held in prisons
73. Authorized discussions with Myanmar and mission by Sen. Jim Web to secure the release of an American held captive
74. Making more loans available to small businesses
75. Established independent commission to make recommendations on slowing the costs of Medicare
76. Appointment of first Latina to the Supreme Court
77. Authorized construction/opening of additional health centers to care for veterans
78. Limited salaries of senior White House aides; cut to $100,000
79. Renewed loan guarantees for Israel
80. Changed the failing/status quo military command in Afghanistan
81. Deployed additional troops to Afghanistan
82. New Afghan War policy that limits aerial bombing and prioritizes aid, development of infrastructure, diplomacy, and good government practices by Afghans
83. Announced the long-term development of a national energy grid with renewable sources and cleaner, efficient energy production
84. Returned money authorized for refurbishment of White House offices and private living quarters
85. Paid for redecoration of White House living quarters out of his own pocket
86. Held first Seder in White House
87. Attempting to reform the nation’s healthcare system which is the most expensive in the world yet leaves almost 50 million without health insurance and millions more under insured
88. Has put the ball in play for comprehensive immigration reform
89. Has announced his intention to push for energy reform
90. Has announced his intention to push for education reform
Did I mention he passed health care reform ?
President Barack Hussein Obama
No one denies Republicans their right to run a campaign to put a Republican in the White House, they even have the right to their four-year obstructionist agenda which, (America be damned) was designed to remove Barack Obama from office even before he took the oath of office.
For Republicans love of country is winning at all cost, even if it means that America suffers immensely in the process. In fact it is not about the 300 + million people who occupy these United States, it is about the 1% who are at the top of the financial and economic pile.
Republican office holders and those seeking office, are completely sold on the concept of trickle-down economics, what they do not tell the voters they seek to influence, is that they have no desire to see anything trickle down to them.
The fact is that, Republicans are wholly sold out to special interest, anything which falls from the tables of the 1% will never get to the masses, it falls onto them the political hacks in the Senate, the House and whoever they put in the White House.
Business tycoons at the top of the pile like Charles and David Koch, Sheldon Adelson and others, figured out that it is cheaper to control the politicians than deal fairly with the masses. It is not strange to see South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley a (Native American) trumpeting Boeing’s victory over the Federal Government to not have Unionized workers in their factory to cheers from the audience at the Republican convention.
These are classic cases of low information people voting and cheering for policies which are clearly and unequivocally against their short and long-term interest.
Unionized workers built a solid middle class which propelled this country into being the greatest most powerful nation on the face of this planet, ever. Decent wages, acceptable working conditions, benefits, and vacation time are the cornerstones of a motivated work-force, these components have lifted otherwise poor people into financial prosperity .
Republicans wants to remove Unions from the workplace, relegating and subjecting workers to the unfair practices of what obtains in countries like China, where workers are mere commodities to be disposed of and replaced with others. The tragedy is that many of the voters are either too stupid or to racially predisposed to realize that they are being led down into hell like rats to the pied piper in Hamlin’s tale.
This election is close because rich financiers like the Koch brothers, Sheldon Adelson and others are hell-bent on defeating Obama, Charles and David Koch has pledged to spend whatever it takes to buy this election for Mitt Romney, they have reportedly already committed over half a billion dollars of their UN-Godly fortune to that end, with no end in sight.
The per-eminent question then, has got to be, “what the hell do these clowns want”?
No one gives away a million dollars just because………!!
No one gives away 500 million for nothing for damn sure!
The Koch Brothers are wealthy industrialists who inherited their fortunes from their father, they have since increased those fortunes and are using their enormous financial clout to shape policies, to make themselves and others like them even more wealthy, to the utter detriment of the country and our planet.
They own and operate oil and gas companies, lumber, and everything in between to include the paper towels and even the tissue we use in our homes. Let’s face it, these guys are filthy rich people who are going nowhere , they know it and they understand the power they have as a result of the immeasurable wealth they command.
HERE ARE SOME OF THE THINGS CHARLES AND DAVID KOCH SUPPORT AND ESPOUSE.
(1) Repealing the affordable care Act: (Obama-care):
(2) Denying Climate Change:
(3) Fighting Wall Street Reform:
(4)Dismantling Collective Bargaining Rights:
(5) Fighting Reductions in Carbon Emissions:
(6) Keeping Corporate Money in Elections:
(7) Fighting Internet Neutrality:
These are some of the big platform issues they support or oppose as the case may be. They are the guys behind Romney/Ryan, they and their money are funding and enhancing voter suppression laws all over America, through the funding of far right Republican straw candidates who are primed to do their bidding.
The American people in this defining election, must determine whether they will allow themselves to be duped into believing the continued lies of the Republican party, or they will stand with this African-American President who has done yeoman’s heavy lifting on their behalf.
The choices couldn’t be clearer, every election cycle we hear the same cliche’.” This is the most important election of our life-time” cliche or not, this time it’s actually true. Supreme Court decision “Citizens United” as opened up the flood gates of dirty corrupting money, into the political discourse. Many people like Senator’s McCain and Feingold have long warned about this and have actually gotten legislation passed which would minimize this, of course this was before the Supreme Court in one decision changed the landscape of American politics in one fell-swoop, releasing an avalanche of money and influence into the system under the guise of “Free Speech”
The truth is this is and was a brain-dead decision, which could easily have been foreseen, even by untrained legal minds. Unless of course the intent was to get this result. The American people will have to ask themselves these questions, and at the same time determine if these are decisions that were made in their interest.
Simply put if money equals free speech , then those with more money invariably have a greater say than those with little, those without money have no right to free speech.
If the intent of this decision was to say that the courts cannot dictate how much is too much to give in a democratic society, then we are forced by default to conclude, that the court’s decision was based on the notion that those without money are undeserving of their fundamental God Given right to free speech.
What that means is that they decided to err on the side of the wealthy and powerful, giving them the right to speak for the Un-monied masses.
That Coup went down and no one is any the wiser.